Friday, July 12, 2002

What Makes a Good Hotel

Some London Hotels Offer the Future for Guests. “Hotels are racing to install high-speed Internet access, e-mail and a variety of wireless and digital services. And some are going for the all-in-one solution.” via  [New York Times: Technology]



Whenever I travel I always base my hotel choice on technology amenities.  In fact, our firm website includes not only hotel information, but also information about which hotels near our firm have high-speed Internet access.   I wonder what other bloggers require in their travels. [Ernie the Attorney]



I love that Ernie’s firm includes which hotels near them have high-speed access. If I were a client, that piece of info alone would cement my relationship with them.



What I require in a hotel (sadly, I’ve stayed in 22 of them so far this year):




  • High speed access. Don’t need wifi (don’t have a card yet, cause I haven’t gotten around to installing it in the house), just want reliable high speed access. I’m more than willing to pay for it, too – even though hotels like the Hilton Times Square don’t charge for it.
  • Separate work area. It drives me nuts when all I have to work on is an end table by the bed, or a desk that isn’t close to a phone line and power source.
  • TV with more than three channels. It’s bad enough that I don’t have access to TiVo when I’m on the road – but hotels that deny me a little variety on the tube are just rubbing salt in the wound. Is it too much to ask to have Comedy Central, MSNBC, A&E, or some of the other cable staples?
  • Room service with edible, normal food. I don’t know about you, but I really don’t care about ordering braised leeks with marinated truffles in a demi-glaze over a seared filet mignon when an elevator is involved in its delivery. Give me a hamburger, or a couple of pasta dishes, or a salad or two. Keep it simple. And, while you’re at it, keep it hot. And keep the drinks cold. Is that so hard?
  • Mini bar with snacks. I’ll admit it – I’m lazy, and if I get hungry after working late I just want to reach into the fridge and pull something out to eat. Candy bars, potato chips, pretzels. Does anyone really eat $9 jars of peanuts to fill up? Or candy bars from my parents era?
  • Water. I love it when hotels put a bottle or two of water in my room. It doesn’t cost them much, and I’m normally thirsty by the time I get back to the room.

I’d say I need to get out more, but that’s actually part of the problem. I get out far too often – I need to stay home more!

No comments:

Post a Comment