Sunday, June 6, 2004

Reagan clarified the clash of ideas

That’s the money quote from Will Saletan’s latest column at Slate, where he takes the money quote from Reagan’s farewell address in 1989:




“There’s a clear cause and effect here that is as neat and predictable as a law of physics: As government expands, liberty contracts.”




Saletan goes on to write, “In clarifying his own views, he clarified mine: I’m not a conservative. If he has done the same for you, this would be a good day to thank him.”



Indeed, I do. While Reagan showed what it was to be a leader, he also helped me forge my own political views. As I neared voting age (I just missed voting for George H.W. Bush in 1988; by the time the next election rolled around, I was squarely in Clinton’s camp), I had Reagan to thank for framing much of the conservative debate.



Thanks, Mr. President. Like Saletan, I’m not a conservative either.

No comments:

Post a Comment