Tuesday, September 28, 2004

BlogAds and the blogging revolution

Michael Klam wrote a cover story in Sunday’s New York Times Magazine= that profiled Kos, Josh, and Wonkette. Kos and I spoke on a panel in Boston at the DNC, and I was actually present during part of the interview in Boston. (And sadly, I had a coveted invite to the party where the fight broke out, but my plans changed and I had to come home that night…) I chatted with Klam for a while, and thought he had a pretty good idea of what was going on.



On the balance, I think he got the story mostly right, though he leaves out a few salient details. While Josh is a major celebrity among bloggers, to hear Klam tell it, Josh doesn’t get the kind of respect he wants/needs from the establishment. That’s convenient for Klam’s story, but I think it misses the mark. Josh recounted on his blog a while back a story about running into Arthur Schlesinger (where Josh was winning an award from Editor and Publisher magazine, natch). And George Soros is a fan of his. As are several from Al Gore’s camp (I’ve heard the former VP is a fan, but don’t know that for a fact and Josh hasn’t said so). Josh appears regularly on MSNBC and CNN.



(Yes, I’m fortunate to call Josh a friend. But I’m doing this not to suck up to Josh — he hardly needs the props from me — but to simply indicate that Klam’s coverage was a bit selective in presenting its story. As Henry Copeland notes, that’s par for the course in magazine profiles. No harm, no foul.)



Speaking of Henry, let me add to the praise from the likes of Duncan and Kos for BlogAds. I’m a very, very small fish in a growing pond of bloggers, but thanks to Henry’s service, I’ve been able to generate a fair amount of “play” money from this blog. Thanks to the generous support of advertisers like Christine Cegelis, Tom Cross and others, BlogAds has provided a nice chunk of change. It’s nothing to retire on, but it does make it easier to satisfy my technology toy craving once in a while…

No comments:

Post a Comment