Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Akismet hates me

Akismet spam countAkismet, the brilliant spam plugin that makes it possible to let people leave comments on a blog (in a year, it’s stopped more than 180,000 spam comments, or nearly 500 spam comments per day), doesn’t like me. As you probably know, I’m pretty proactive (along with Jake and Eric) about reaching out to publishers who post comments to their blog about FeedBurner. Even built a little app to monitor the comments that we respond to, so we can keep tabs on any resulting conversations. It’s pretty cool.



Except that lately, I’m lucky if 1/2 of the comments I leave actually ever get posted. Why? Akismet, in its infinite wisdom, is quarantining my comments and flagging them as needing moderation (if not outright labeling them as spam). The result? Many times, even though I’ve taken time out to answer a question posted by a blogger (and they ask lots of questions), the blogger never knows because the comment never gets published. Needless to say, this is annoying. (So now, in addition to posting the comment, I also seek out the author’s e-mail address and separately e-mail them to find my comment. Not exactly efficient.)



I tried contacting Akismet a few weeks ago, but have yet to hear anything back. I’m just looking for either an explanation of why my comments are getting flagged, or a way to get whitelisted (a la TypeKey) so that the answers I post to blogs don’t disappear into a black hole of comment spam.



Any ideas?

11 comments:

  1. Found out today that two of my comments on another site went straight to the Spam filter in Akismet. If you ever post something to my site, let me know by email too, so I can mark you as "Not Spam". Maybe that'll help whitelist you, who knows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the exact same problem....

    ReplyDelete
  3. [...] hope that some people currently having this problem find this potential solution to be as helpful to them as it was for me. If you can think of someone [...]

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just checking in, is this any better now?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Matt - Thanks for stopping by. No change yet... the only thing I can think of that would explain Akismet's tendency to block my comments is that when leaving a comment, I often include a sig block so that the blogger knows how to reach me. But that seems unlikely to me... in any event, I'd love to get some help in addressing this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't seen a reported false positive since you sent in the email, so it might be worth trying again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Matt - I just left a handful of comments, and they all went through. Looks like whatever was wrong is addressed. Thanks again for stopping in, and for staying on top of this. It's a huge relief to have this resolved!

    ReplyDelete
  8. [...] tidak mau harus kontak langsung ke Akismet. Saya yakin tidak akan terlalu rumit birokrasinya. Malah di satu kasus di blog ini, Matt sendiri turun tangan membereskan masalahnya sampai [...]

    ReplyDelete
  9. [...] week I wrote about problems leaving comments on blogs using Akismet to protect against spam. Thanks to some assistance [...]

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm having the exact same issue -- have been for some time, but have ignored it up 'til now. It's finally gotten to be sufficient nuisance to try to fix it. Guess I'll have to try to reach Matt. :-)

    ReplyDelete