Sunday, May 20, 2007

Behind on e-mail

Grandpa’s memorial service was wonderful. His sons (my Dad and my Uncle Chris) both spoke, as did the four grandchildren (me, my brother, and my cousins Lauren and Heather) and a few others (including Mel, who met Grandpa just a few years ago, but amazingly enough went to the same high school in Milwaukee nearly 60 years ago!). It was a standing room only crowd, which spoke to what a friend Grandpa was to so many of the residents at Lake Port Square and how loved he was by his family.



To all of you who left comments, thanks so much. I’m fortunate to have such a great collection of friends and colleagues who shared such kind thoughts.



One anecdote from Saturday that was uplifting, albeit surprising: one of my Uncle’s distributors looked up my Grandpa’s name on Google on Friday to see if he could learn anything about him. Turns out, my post from Wednesday was the top hit. Amazing, and wonderful.



If you sent me e-mail anytime after Thursday, chances are I’ve not yet read it. It’ll take a day or more to catch up; bear with me. Thanks.

2 comments:

  1. I saw your original post and thought, "I better come back to this later," but sheepishly admit I didn't until just now with this update. Let me add my condolences among the others already offered and say I'm glad you saw fit to write such an uplifting tribute to a man who made such simple, lasting, cumulative differences across the lives of family, friends, and co-workers. His _way_ of living hasn't passed on, however, considering the number of people he's touched. We can all hope to make our own way to such a standard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rick - came over here this morning bc of the rumours about Feedburner getting bought, it's been ages since I checked in on you, and was hoping to catch up - then I saw this news and everything else just falls by the wayside.

    I am so sorry to hear about your grandfather, but your original post makes it clear that you had a special relationship, and that your memories will carry you through and sustain you. Take good care!

    Allison

    ReplyDelete