Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Commencement speech in 3 days!


University of Richmond
Image via Wikipedia
I leave for Richmond tomorrow afternoon, where I'll be giving the commencement address to this year's graduating class at the University of Richmond School of Law. It's been almost four months since I received the call from Dean Douglas, I've spent quite a bit of time in the last several months refining what I want to say.

Writing this kind of address is a very different process than most other presentations I've given, and it's been a terrific process to get input from a number of people who've provided very useful feedback. I'm probably leaving a few out, but I wanted to say thanks to my friends Ann Lee Gibson, Norm Rubenstein, Leigh Dance, Barb Miller, Ross Fishman, Deborah McMurray, Jason Mendelson, and Prof. Joel Eisen - each reviewed at least one draft of the speech and helped me see what fit and what didn't. The speaker team at Google is terrific, and my wife Robin was tremendously helpful in listening to several drafts and helping me hone in on the key messages.

The finished product is rather different from my first draft - and I'm much happier with where it ended up. I'll share the final version after I give the address, and the school is recording it - once I have a copy I'll put it up on YouTube. I'm excited, and am really looking forward to the ceremony.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

1 comment:

  1. Wish I was going to be able to take a road trip and go. Good luck

    ReplyDelete