Thursday, October 27, 2005

October month in review

Eric Zorn e-mailed me a couple weeks ago to participate in his popular month in review series, in which he surveys various Illinois bloggers for perspectives on which were the important stories of the month. With apologies to Eric (who, it should be noted, was warned this might happen), my suggestions are rather inwardly focused:








Most Significant Story of the Month:The birth of Rebecca Adeline Klau
Winner of the Month:Rebecca Adeline Klau, who already has her father tied around her finger
Loser of the Month:Me, who breaks into a cold sweat thinking about a teenaged daughter (that this moment is 13 years away is no consolation whatsoever)
Most Under-Reported Story:Quite possible I missed any MSM coverage of her birth, but I’d have to say that the calls from the press about Rebecca’s birth were shockingly few (er, none)
Most Over-Reported Story:Something about a baseball team happened this week, I’m sure of it… I swear I heard someone talking about it on the radio as I changed Becca’s diaper at 3 this morning.
Story to Watch in the Coming Month:Will Rick ever get sleep again?


Like I said, apologies in advance to Eric for bailing on this. But I haven’t seen a paper or followed the news much in the past week, and my view of things has been more than a bit myopic for the past 7 days. If I’m invited to participate again (what are the odds?!), I promise to devote more time to it. Really.

4 comments:

  1. Rick, Morgan will be at the tail end of the teenage years when Rebecca is entering them, so I am sure I will have all the answers by then ;-)

    I do have one suggestion now however. Judo.

    OneMan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like OneMan's Judo suggestion. With Tori and Isa being 9 and 11 years aways from their teens respectively, I think the time to start is now. Please warn your boys...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats!!! She is georgeous.

    My niece Jordan is 14 now, and my brother has gone with the "shotgun visible from the door" approach, but also having a 6'3", 200 lb brother on the football and wrestling teams has helped Jordan avoid any trouble.

    I like OneMan's Judo suggestion, however I think the trick is to start teaching Ricky and Robbie Judo now.

    Again, congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jim thinks acting like a psycho will scare the boys away (picture Jack Nicholson in just about any of his films). I'll let you know how that strategy plays out bc we're getting pretty close here...just 1 1/2 years until teenage-dom.

    ReplyDelete