Tuesday, January 17, 2006

FeedDemon 2.0 beta rocks

Saw Brad’s comment that he was excited about the FeedDemon 2.0 beta, so I decided to give it a try (I’ve been using the prior beta, 1.6, for several months). It is, in a word, incredible. The updated UI is a dramatic improvement over what was already a clean, usable interface. Now it’s incredibly powerful, giving you terrific control over feed presentation, filtering, and searching. You can filter and search at the feed or folder level (folders let you group feeds logically), which makes quick scans of groups of feeds very easy.



I’m really impressed — so much so that I actually invested a little time in cleaning up my folder structure. At some point in my NewsGator for Outlook/NewsGator Online/FeedDemon experiments, the synchronization had gone a bit haywire. Now it’s humming along smoothly, which will mean I can set up a filtered view of my feeds to read on my Treo when I have downtime. Very cool stuff! Congrats to Nick and team who pushed this out the door – it already looks great, and isn’t even a released product yet.

3 comments:

  1. Rick - agreed, completely. Curious - are you syncing news bins? It's the only extra feature I'm looking for. If it's there, I haven't figured it out yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - thanks for the great post about the new FeedDemon, Rick! I appreciate that.

    Rob, synchronization in FeedDemon is done on a per-folder basis. To sync a specific folder, right click on the folder, select "Folder Properties," then checkmark the option labeled "Synchronize this folder with NewsGator Online."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - talk about results. Thanks, Nick - and I've done that for all my folders in 2.0 - worked like a charm. But I don't have that option for the News Bins ...

    ReplyDelete