Friday, January 27, 2006

Reconnecting with old friends

2006 is the year of reconnecting for me so far. First, I heard from Femke, one of my close friends from the year I spent living in Dijon, Frace (1991-1992) — Femke’s from Maastricht and we hadn’t talked since 1996. She looked me up in Skype’s directory, and a couple weeks ago, I got an IM from her at 6:30am. It was great to hear from her and catch up, and hopefully we won’t lose touch again. (With any luck, I’ll find an excuse to get Robin and the kids over to France, and now I’ll have someone to visit!)



A week later, a law school classmate of mine listened to my interview on The Hobson & Holtz Report, and dropped me a line to catch up. Andrea worked with me on the Richmond Journal of Law & Technology, and maintains a terrific blog about PR and communications (an area in which she consults). If you’re at all interested in PR, you need to be reading her blog. She’s only been at it since late last year, but you wouldn’t know it from reading her posts — she’s a pro, and I’m thrilled to know about her site.



This week I heard from a neighbor from my freshman year of college at Lafayette College. (Hard to imagine that was nearly 17 years ago! That makes me sound really old.) The alumni magazine did a brief profile on me, and he looked me up to drop me a note to say hi. Tom has been a producer at ABC News for quite some time, and was actually Peter Jennings’ producer up until his death last year. I’m in New York in a couple weeks, and we’re going to have lunch and see each other for the first time in 13 years. I love it.



I don’t know what’s in the air that’s making these connections happen, but it’s fun.

1 comment:

  1. Funny that you went to Lafayette College. My connection to it was that one of my econ professors when I was in Xiamen University was a professor there, probably around 1993.

    His name is Bernard Katz. I am sure he is retired by now. I think he was a Fulbright professor that was sent to China. He wrote me a recommendation letter when I applied to study in the US. I think it helped, but I don't know how much. I am pretty grateful of that.

    ReplyDelete