Thursday, April 6, 2006

Five podcasts I can't live without

Ever since I re-acquired an iPod (a much-appreciated Christmas gift), I’ve been able to get back in the habit of listening to (and, increasingly, watching) podcasts. For those of you who are looking for some quality podcasts to add to your playlist, here are the ones I can’t live without:




  • Croncast. (feed) Sure, I’m friends with Kris (he’s a fellow Naperville resident), but that’s not why I listen. He and his wife Betsy have the best rapport together, and consistently put together an engaging, hilarious 30-45 minutes (3 times a week, no less) that covers their lives in suburbia, their families, Betsy’s eBay business, and God knows what else. The number of times I’ve laughed out loud during my commute is too high to count.

  • Ask a Ninja. (feed) Explaining this one wouldn’t do it justice. It’s a video podcast, and without fail some of the funniest 2-3 minutes you’ll see all week. Well-written, terrifically produced, and fall-on-the-floor funny.

  • The Official Lost Podcast. (feed) Hosted by the two Lost producers, Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse, this podcast tells you about connections that even the most die-hard of Lost fans wouldn’t have caught. (OK, maybe the die-hards catch these things all the time. But I never do. So I like the podcast.) Great example of how a broadcast network can add value to a show.

  • Barack Obama Podcast. (feed) He’s my Senator, and my friend Jim is responsible for managing the podcast… but I listen because it’s just a great example of how a politician can bypass the filters of the media and engage in a conversation with constituents. When Senator Obama phoned in during his trip this winter to Iraq, Kuwait, Israel and Jordan, it was amazing. (You can listen to that one here.)



  • Wait Wait, Don’t Tell Me. (feed) Funniest show on the radio, bar none. Doesn’t hurt that my favorite comedian of all time, Paula Poundstone, is frequently a guest. (Useless trivia: at the iManage user conference in 2000, I had the privilege of introducing Paula at the main entertainment event. Quite the thrill.)



What are your favorites?

1 comment:

  1. You should also get Ron Moore's Battlestar Galactica podcasts; they're done as director commentary for (just about) every episode, each roughly time-synched to the episode as it plays, with commercial breaks. Plenty of production insight, the occasional maddening spoiler, and insight into story arc connections that you wouldn't necessarily make for yourself without a nudge. Ron also happens to be a smart, articulate guy, so that's a welcome bonus.

    http://www.scifi.com/battlestar/downloads/podcast/

    ReplyDelete