Wednesday, April 24, 2002

In London for the past 48

In London for the past 48 hours (nothing like a day trip to London from Chicago), and just before heading to the airport, I dialed in to clear e-mail. It was about 1pm London time, and as luck would have it, my wife was online back at home in Chicago. Not only were we able to exchange messages through Yahoo! Messenger (no big deal there), but I was able to see my two sons through the webcam and talk to my two year old using Yahoo! Messenger’s voice chat feature. It wasn’t telephone quality, but it was still impressive. On a computer on a dial-up line. From 4,000 miles away. Wow.



You know, I think this Internet thing might catch on.



BTW – Stayed at the Hilton London Paddington Station, which just re-opened after a two year renovation. Used to be known as the Great Western Hotel (the first luxury terminus hotel), and is it ever convenient. (Paddington Station is the destination of the Heathrow high speed rail line – 15 minutes door to door.) What a great hotel – definitely one of the nicest hotels I’ve stayed in in London (I had an upgraded room, but the hotel definitely earned its four star rating). And at £128 per night, you can’t beat the price.

No comments:

Post a Comment