Thursday, December 9, 2004

David Brudnoy nearing death

Very sad news in Boston, veteran radio host David Brudnoy is off life support and nearing death. Brudnoy is dying of a rare skin cancer, one which went into remission last winter but has returned with a vengeance.



For those who’ve never had the pleasure of hearing one of David’s shows, it was what I imagine a salon to have been like: he was comfortable discussing almost anything under the sun, smart, funny, and above all willing to poke fun at himself. Unlike many other radio personalities, he was always open about himself — not in a showy way, just in an effort at being transparent. He hid nothing, and in return achieved icon status in New England.



I haven’t lived in Boston in over 5 years, but his voice is still immediately recognizable to me. Thanks to the wonders of AM radio, once it gets dark I’ll probably be able to tune in WBZ tonight (more than 1000 miles away) and listen to what will no doubt be an ongoing celebration of a most remarkable life.



Peace, David.



Update: David passed away at 6:11pm Boston time. Best quote from that story, from Channel 56 news analyst and Brudnoy friend Jon Keller: “Who ever thought that perhaps the most prominent symbol of courage here in Boston, would come from a gay, Jewish, egghead from Minnesota?”

1 comment:

  1. I had no idea that David Brudnoy was ill. I haven't lived in Boston in over 8 years. He was the voice that got me listening to talk radio.

    Rick I'm glad I found your blog.

    ReplyDelete