Friday, January 9, 2009

Photoblogging from my Android phone

I've been having a lot of fun playing around with the G1 the company gave out as holiday gifts, and have found the camera is actually quite decent. It's a 3 megapixel camera - and in addition to making it a great barcode/QR code reader, it takes decent snapshots.

When I redesigned the blog the other day, changing which elements were on the page, updating overall look and feel, I decided I wanted to add a little more visual punch. I'm in the process of migrating from Flickr to Picasa for photo storage and sharing (I still owe Evan a post on why, I'll get to that), and Blogger has a nice Picasa widget that lets you show pictures from a particular Picasa album.

Once you install the Android Picasa app, uploading your picture to Picasa is as simple as selecting "Share" and then picking the album. As I was walking to my building this morning, I saw a cool milk truck:


Within a minute, the picture I'd taken from my phone was visible in the "My Photos" gadget on the sidebar.

Yes, I could have used the Blackberry Curve's built-in camera, but the combination of the resolution (I believe it was a .3 megapixel sensor) and the slow data speeds made it cumbersome and an exercise in extreme patience. The Android phone is quicker and better quality, which makes it a win in my book.

No comments:

Post a Comment