Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Poker night

One of the things I miss about living in Illinois was the regular group of friends I had over to play poker. A wonderful byproduct of the never-ending basement finishing project was that I had room for a poker table. Every few months, I had a bunch of friends over, and usually lost money while having a great time.

Here in California, I finally got around to scheduling a poker night and invited a number of co-workers and neighbors. And two days later, Rick's second law of poker night was proven true: everyone on the distribution, once they accept the invitation, must immediately proceed to explain to everyone else how they barely know how to play poker.

Direct quotes from the e-mail thread:
"sounds like you will be taking the money from me."
"I haven't played in (many) years. But, after losing so much $$$ in 2008, why not lose a bit more to friends over beers."
"I'm not much of a poker player."
"I am a real novice at poker and know only the basic rules."
If the past is any guide, I'm going to lose money on Friday night.

7 comments:

  1. Bill from Mountain ViewJanuary 13, 2009 at 6:08 PM

    I can't imagine getting together with the same group of guys on the same night every week in the same place. How pathetic!
    s
    -Bill
    s
    p.s. We miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, if only it were every week. I'm lucky to get it 3-4x/year...
    Speaking of which, what are you doing Friday night? Any chance you want to
    come to the East Bay? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, if only it were every week. I'm lucky to get it 3-4x/year...
    Speaking of which, what are you doing Friday night? Any chance you want to
    come to the East Bay? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bill from Mountain ViewJanuary 13, 2009 at 6:26 PM

    I'm leaving on Thursday for the Inauguration.s Besides, I'm really bad at poker.
    s
    -B

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well I'll wait to hear back on how well you fare before I invite myself to "lose some money" too. sI had a game in college that I never resurrected. sYou've inspired me. s:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. We continued the poker games in your basement for quite a while after you left.s Imagine the shock we had when the new family finally moved in.s I think Henry nailed itsby pointing out that was probablyswhysthe fridge was so poorly stocked.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dammit, if i wasn't in the middle of a blizzard, signature-gathering, crazy-ass special election, I'd fly out there and take your money too.
    s
    TCB

    ReplyDelete