Thursday, June 6, 2002

The Square Root Is....

I’m in San Antonio at the Association of Accounting Marketing conference, and was attending a session on evaluating the success of marketing plans. Given that this is an area of interest to me (if done right, strategic marketing efforts are supported by CRM systems that make the collection, distribution and quality of information much easier and stronger), I walked in hoping to learn about how accounting firms are doing things differently than law firms.



At one point in the presentation, the presenter said that to effect change in an organization, the number of people needed to participate is the square root of the total number in the organization. (It’s an interesting concept, though I have no idea what research supports the claim.) About five minutes went by, and a hand went up. “How do I know what the square root of the people in my company is? I’m just a marketer.”



This person works for CPAs.



I left the room.

No comments:

Post a Comment