Wednesday, May 28, 2003

Site Update

I finally got around to updating the site’s look and feel. You’ll recall that I recently converted from Radio Userland to Movable Type; in that conversion I made the decision to stick with a standard template so that I wouldn’t run the risk of losing something important. This weekend I learned the ins and outs of Movable Type’s templates so that I could move the blog for my book from Radio to Movable Type as well. (This was required because the look and feel of that site is unique to that site; it needed to remain the same even though the weblog app powering it was changing.)



I’m quite happy with the end result. This is essentially the same template that I had pre-conversion (based on a Bryan Bell template); I liked the clean layout, the focus on content, and the boxes around posts that made the separation between posts more obvious. I still have a few minor tweaks to add in over the next few days, but I’m happy to see the “old” presentation.



Two minor nits that I’m having trouble fixing: the border around post titles extends the full width of the post (it used to just border the words of the title, which I preferred), and text in the comments pop-up window is invisible until you scroll down the page and back up or highlight the text (at which point it becomes visible). I’ve noticed the latter issue at other Movable Type blogs, which suggests it’s a CSS issue. In fact, I’m sure both are CSS problems I’ve somehow created, but I just don’t have the CSS wherewithal to fix them.



Anyone have any suggestions?

1 comment:

  1. Rick,
    I made the same conversion to my templates this week. You can take a look at my site and see if it looks like it solves of your problems. If you'd like, I can e-mail you my templates. I know very little about css or the MT templates, so I just moved tags up and down until the design looked the same as it had in Radio.

    ReplyDelete