Monday, June 13, 2005

Spammers, how do I hate thee?

Just had my domain shut down by my webhost for about 15 minutes. I checked it out, turns out it was due to “CPU Abuse”. Translated, that means that the deluge of hits to my mt-tb.cgi and mt-comments.cgi files (the two scripts that Movable Type uses to handle trackbacks and comments) were getting hammered so badly that CPU usage on my server pegged 100% and showed no signs of letting up.



While I search for a better answer, for now, I’ve:




  • disabled trackbacks on all posts

  • renamed the trackback file so any further requests to the file will result in a 404 “file not found” error



  • rebuilt all files



I’m hoping I don’t have to turn comments off; ironically, I’ve succeeded in eliminating any spam from actually reaching the pages of the blog — but that hasn’t stopped the spammers from consuming every CPU cycle of the server my blog is hosted on (and I’m just one of many who share that particular machine).



Bastards.

1 comment:

  1. I assume you are using MT Blacklist. You might also want to pick up SpamLookup. That combination seems to have staunched the flow of most of the junk, though I see that MT Blacklist still does a lot of the work (stupid gambling websites).

    ReplyDelete